If you have seen the movie “We Bought a Zoo,” you may remember the quote by the movie’s main character, Benjamin Mee, when he tells his son “You know, sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, just literally 20 seconds of embarrassing bravery, and I promise you something great will come of it.” This is one of our family’s favorite quotes and something we strive to apply to our lives. This quote has even prompted some artistic inspiration in our office in the form of this awesome chalk art, drawn by my highly talented mother-in-law (thanks Connie).
This piece is hanging directly across from my desk and is the first thing I see any time I look up from whatever desk work I am doing. I get inspired every time I look at it and take in the depth of meaning of such a simple statement. My heart pounds and my adrenaline rushes when I think of how “insane courage” has propelled me to do some pretty crazy things, all of which I can sincerely say had an amazing impact on my life. Here are a few examples.
- Strapping my hand to the back of an 1800 pound bull…many times over (My grandfather wouldn’t call this courage, he would call it idiocy, but we will go with courage)
- Packing up and moving to Texas to start a new life with the love of my life…no plan…just dreams and passion (Yes I’m referring to Jenny)
- Starting a career in sales with no experience, no contacts, and no idea when or where my next paycheck would come from
- Resigning from an executive level job, which offered safety and security, to focus on the more important things in life
- Accepting Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior
So what does all of this have to do with the here and now? I’m glad you asked. I am excited to announce that after 14 great years, filled with many great memories, and surrounded by many great people, I am exiting the mortgage industry. Jenny and I are taking our next leap of faith, and focusing our energy on Grandi Home & Design Co. We are using a touch of insane courage to pursue our passion, and Lord willing, make a living doing it. We are on a quest to fulfill our need to be creative…to design…to restore, and really live our lives in a way that is counter-societal. So goodbye to fancy titles, hundred dollar ties, and corporate ladders and hello to blue jeans, hammers, and the pursuit of something more….truly living.
With that, we invite you to peruse around our newly redesigned web-site (credit Tailfish Solutions). Get a feel for “What We Do” and please follow along on our new adventures. Stay tuned and thank you to everyone who has supported us and believed in us. You know who you are!